We can rebuild them...

Ever had a piece of terrain that you no longer liked? Don't just chuck it out, recycle it! I put together these pieces of terrain a few years back during my Fallout 3 addiction and the beginning of my love for the post-apocalyptic genre. I rediscovered them a few weeks back whilst going through my terrain collection.
To be honest, I'd never been completely happy with them. They don't look terrible, but there was a few parts that annoyed me - partly as I don't seem to have been able to decide whether I wanted them still being utilised by the locals or completely abandoned to decay and also as you could see into the unpainted interior in some sections. 
I did what any good scavenger does - broke out the pliers and ripped them apart! I saved all the goodies and then went about rebuilding the first one into a lived-in post-apocalyptic home. To begin with, I got a screwdriver out and removed the plastic "glass" insert that bugged me so much.
After that, I went about covering up the windows with corrugated card and a mix of different materials, adding some foamboard struts to add strength to the whole thing. Lashings of hot glue sealed everything together! 
The finished (apart from painting and basing materials...) product! I added a chimney in the roof, some spare tires, a cog of some sort and used filler to close any gaps. The camper is mounted on an MDF base. I'm much happier with the results - it's quite clearly still being used and will look perfect in my shantytown!


If you have any more ideas for how any of these pieces could be used in terrain, please leave a comment!

2 comments:

Cawshis Clay said...

Looking good. Where did you get those buses? And what game do you plan to use them in? I honestly cannot tell what scale those buses might be!

Unknown said...

Those are very nice, Definitly better after the clean up.

about tfj | contact tfj | 2010 terrain from junk